Tuesday 5 July 2011

A LIST OF SOME COMMON PHRASAL VERBS

Phrasal Verb List

A continuación, tenemos una lista de los verbos frasales más comunes.
Verbo frasalEspañolEjemplo
add upsumar
The waiter added up the bill.
ask (someone) out invitar a salir

Steve asked me out last night.
back offretirarse

I would back off if I were you, I don't think she likes you.
back (someone) upapoyar, respaldar

You were with me, you can back me up, right?
back up (something)hacer un copia

Don't forget to back up all of your files.
break down (something)dejar de trabajar, estropearse, averiarse

Our car broke down while we were driving to the supermarket.
break down (someone)venirse abajo

It was the most stressful week. By Friday I broke down and cried.
break (something) downderribar

We had to break down the stage to prepare for the next event.
blow upexplotar

They blew up a building, but luckily nobody was hurt.
break intoforzando la entrada para robar

Someone broke into my apartment while I was on holidays.
break upsepararse, romperseI can't believe it, Dan broke up with me last night!
bring (somebody) upcriar y educarI was brought up by my grandmother.
bring (something) upsacar, mencionar

I hate him. Don't ever bring his name up again!
call backvolver a llamar

He was busy when I called, but he said he would call me back tonight.
call off suspender, cancelar

Did you hear? Brenda called off the wedding!
call onpreguntar

The teacher called on me in class to answer the question.
calm downtranquilizarse, calmarse

Calm down, everything is going to be ok.
carry onseguir haciendo algo

Carry on! You are doing very well.
carry on

She must have loved Spain, she was carrying on about it for days after she returned.
catch upponerse al día

Call me, we need to catch up!
check inregistrarse (en)

What time can we check in to the hotel?
check outpagar y marcharse

They checked out on monday.
check outquedarse con, mirar

He's checking you out! / Let's check out that new bar.
check uphacer averiguaciones

I know you have been sick, so I was calling to check up on you.
cheer upanimar(se) a alguien

Sarah is depressed; we have to cheer her up.
close downcerrar o terminar una actividad

The factory was closed down last month.
come backregresar, volver

We are coming back next week.
come bypasarse por

Come by my office and we can talk.
come down withenfermarse

My son came down with the flu last week.
come fromoriginarse

His love of music comes from his father.
count oncontar con

Don't worry, you can count on me!
cut back onbajar

With the crisis we have had to cut back on expenses.
cut offinterrumpirI don't mean to cut you off, but I have to go now.
cut outparar de hacer algo

Cut it out! Leave your sister alone.
drop by/inpasarI was just dropping by/in to say "hi".
drop offllevar a, dejar

She dropped off the kids at school before going to work.
drop outabandonar

He dropped out of school because he was failing all his classes.
end upacabar + infinitivo

There was no food at home so we ended up going out.
fall apart (something)deshacerse

The sweater fell apart after so many washings.
fall apart (someone)derrumbarse

She fell apart when she heard the news.
fall behindquedarse atrás

Hurry up or you will fall behind.
fall outcaerseI think my wallet fell out of my purse.
fight backdefenderse

If you don't fight back, they will never stop bullying you.
figure outdeterminarI can't figure out why this isn't working.
fill in/outrellenar

You must fill in/out the forms completely.
fill upllenarseI need to stop at the gas station and fill up the gas tank.
find outenterrarse

If the teacher doesn't know the answer, she will find it out.
fit inencajar, integrarse

Despite her efforts, she never fit in with the other kids.
get acrosscomunicar una idea

He tried everything to get his ideas across, but his boss didn't understand.
get along/onllevarse

I'm so lucky, my father and my husband get along/on really well.
get arounddesplazarse, circular

News really gets around fast!
get awaycogerse un descanso/vacaciones

Work has been so stressful, I need to get away!
get away withsalir impune

She stole my idea, but she won't get away with it.
get backregresar, volver

They get back from vacation on Thursday.
get (something) backdevolverI have to get these books back to the library today.
get back atvengarse de

I'll get back at her for stealing my idea!
get bysobrevivir

We don't have a lot of money right now, but we'll get by.
get onsubir

He got on the bus for the airport.
get onseguir

My husband and I have separated, but I must get on with my life.
get out ofirse, salir, marcharse

It's too smoky in here, I have to get out of here.
get overrecuperarse

I'm so upset, I can't get over failing my test.
get throughsuperar

I'm never going to get through this book with all of these distractions!
get togetherquedar, reunir

We are getting together for dinner tomorrow at 8.
get uplevantarse

What time did you get up this morning?
give awayregalar

The millionaire gave away all his money just before he died.
give backdevolver

Can you give me back my book when you have finished reading it?
give in/upceder, rendirse

Be strong! Don't give in to temptation
give outrepartir, distribuir

They are giving out free samples at the store.
give uprendirse, abandonar

Ok, I give up. What's the answer?
go aheadir delante

Go ahead, I'll meet you there.
go backregresar, volver

I'm so embarassed. I can never go back to that restaurant.
go outsalir

Let's go out for a drink.
go out with (someone)salir conII hear Michael is going out with Jane.
go overrepasarBefore you submit your thesis, I think we should go over it together.
go throughpasar por

You need to go through the Lincoln Tunnel to get to New Jersey.
go throughsufrir, suportar

I can't believe what you have been through.
grow upcrecer, llegar a hacerse adulto

Alex grew up in France but now he lives in Italy.
hand inpresentarAll homework must be handed in by the end of the day.
hand outrepartirThe teacher will hand out the assignments this afternoon.
hang onesperar

Hang on, I'm coming.
hang outPasar tiempo con

Her favorite thing to do is hang out with her friends.
hang upcolgar el teléfonoI was so angry I hung up on him.
hit onflirtear, coquetear con

Look at how that guy is hitting on Debbie.
hold back contenerse

She tried, but she couldn't hold back the tears any longer.
hold onesperar

Hold on, I'm coming.
hurry updarse prisa

Hurry up or we will be late.
keep onseguir

She kept on asking me the same questions.
lay (somebody) offdespedir

With the crises, we have been forced to lay off some staff.
let (somebody) downdefraudar, decepcionarI don't want to let you down, but I don't think I can come with you to the party tomorrow.
look forward totener ganas de

We are really looking forward to your visit!
look outprestar atención, tener cuidado

Look out! That car almost hit you!
look upbuscar, consultar

You will need to look up some words in the dictionary.
look up to (somebody)admirar a alguien

She's so brave, I have always looked up to her.
make (something) upinventar algo

I don't believe you. You're making that up!
make up (somebody)reconciliarse

Our parents had an argument last night, but they made up this morning.
pick on (somebody)fastidiar, burlar

When I was young, my brother always picked on me.
put (something) offposponer, atrasar

You must not want to do it, you keep putting it off.
rely on contar con, confiar en

I hope I can rely on you to be discreet.
slow downreducir la velocidad

Slow down please, you are driving too fast!
speak uphablar alto, subir la voz

Can you please speak up, I can't understand you.
take after (somebody)parecerse

With that bad temper, he must take after his father.
take oversustituir, hacerse con el control

If you are tired of driving, I can take over for a while.
take offdespegar

The plane will take off in 5 minutes.
take upocupar, empezar una afición

He has taken up tennis in his free time.
tell (somebody) offechar la bronca, regañar

She told him off after he was late again.
throw outechar

They should throw that guy out, he's really drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment