Friday 6 January 2012

PARTICIPATING IN BUSINESS MEETINGS


The following phrases are useful to participate in a meeting. These phrases are useful for expressing your ideas and giving input to a meeting.

Getting the Chairperson's Attention

If I may, I think...
Excuse me for interrupting.


Giving Opinions

I'm positive that...
In my opinion...
If you ask me,... I tend to think that...

Asking for Opinions

Do you (really) think that...
(name of participant) can we get your input?

 
Commenting

That's interesting .
I never thought about it that way before.


Agreeing

I totally agree with you.
Exactly!


Disagreeing

Unfortunately, I see it differently.
Up to a point I agree with you, but...

Advising and Suggesting

Let's...
How/What about...


Clarifying

Have I made that clear?
Do you see what I'm getting at?
Let me put this another way...


Requesting Information

Please, could you...
I wonder if you could...

Asking for Repetition

I'm afraid I didn't understand that. Could you repeat what you just said?
I didn't catch that. Could you repeat that, please?


Asking for Clarification

I don't quite follow you. What exactly do you mean?
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're are getting at.


Asking for Verification

You did say next week, didn't you? ('did' is stressed)
Do you mean that...?


Asking for Spelling

Could you spell that, please?
Would you mind spelling that for me, please?

Asking for Contributions
We haven't heard from you yet, (name of participant).
What do you think about this proposal?
Would you like to add anything, (name of participant)?
Has anyone else got anything to contribute?
Are there any more comments?

Correcting Information

Sorry, I think you misunderstood what I said.
Sorry, that's not quite right.
I'm afraid you don't understand what I'm saying.


Keeping the Meeting On Target (time, relevance, decisions)
We're running short of time.
Well, that seems to be all the time we have today.
Please be brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment