Thursday 12 January 2012

THE TELEPHONE: LANGUAGE

Here are some typical phrases that you can use in a telephone conversation.
Answering the phone
  • Hello? (informal)
  • Thank you for calling (place).  (name of the speaker) speaking. How can I help you?
  • (name of place).
Introducing yourself
  • Hey (name of listener). It's (name of speaker) calling. (informal)
  • Hello, this is  (name of speaker) calling.
  • Hi, it's (name of speaker) from the (place).
  • This is he/she.*
  • Speaking.*
*The person answering says this if the caller does not recognize their voice/or has asked to speak with them
Asking to speak with someone
  • Is (name) in? (informal)
  • Is (name) there, please? (informal)
  • Can I talk to (name)? (informal)
  • May I speak with (name), please?
  • Would (name) be in/available?
Connecting someone
  • Just a sec. I'll get him/her. (informal)
  • Hang on one second. (informal)
  • Please hold and I'll put you through to his/her office.
  • One moment please.
  • All of our operators are busy at this time. Please hold for the next available person.
Making special requests
  • Could you please repeat that?
  • Would you mind spelling that for me?
  • Could you speak up a little please?
  • Can you speak a little slower please. My English isn't very strong.
  • Can you call me back? I think we have a bad connection.
  • Can you please hold for a minute? I have another call.
Taking a message for someone
  • (name) not in. Who's this? (informal)
  • I'm sorry, (name) is not here at the moment. Can I ask who's calling?
  • I'm afraid she/he's stepped out. Would you like to leave a message?
  • She/He's on lunch right now.Who's calling please?
  • She/He's busy right now. Can you call again later?
  • I'll let him know you called.
  • I'll make sure he/she gets the message.
Leaving a message with someone
  • Yes, can you tell him/her (name of speaker) called, please?
  • No, that's okay, I'll call back later.
  • Yes, it's (name) from (place) here. When do you expect him/her back in the office?
  • Thanks, could you ask her/him to call (name of speaker) when he/she gets in?
  • Do you have a pen handy? I don't think she/he has my number.
  • Thanks. My number is 222-3456, extension 12.
Confirming information
  • Okay, I've got it all down.
  • Let me repeat that just to make sure.
  • Did you say (repeat information)?
  • You said your name was (repeat information), right?
  • I'll make sure she/he gets the message.
Listening to an answering machine
  • Hello. You've reached (phone number). Please leave a detailed message after the beep.Thank you.
  • Hi, this is (name). I'm sorry I'm not available to take your call at this time. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
  • Thank you for calling (place). Our hours are ....am-....pm, Monday-Friday. Please call back during these hours, or leave a message after the tone. If this is an emergency please call (number).
Leaving a message on an answering machine
  • Hey (name of listener). It's (name of speaker). Call me! (informal)
  • Hello, this is (name of speaker) calling for (name of listener). Could you please return my call as soon as possible. My number is (phone number). Thank you.
  • Hello (name of listener). This is (name of speaker) from (place) calling.  Please give us a ring/buzz whenever it's convenient.
Finishing a conversation
  • Well, I guess I better get going. Talk to you soon.
  • Thanks for calling. Bye for now.
  • I have to let you go now.
  • I have another call coming through. I better run.
  • I'm afraid that's my other line.
  • I'll talk to you again soon. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment