Monday 25 January 2016

REPORTING VERBS B2


Reported Speech and Reporting Verbs


    "I want to be a doctor," said Tom.
  • Tom told me (that) he wanted to be a doctor.
  • Tom said (that) he wanted to be a doctor.

    "Will you help me," she asked.
  • She asked (me) if I would help her.
  • She wondered if I would help her.

Note the difference between "say" and "tell". We say something, but we tell someone something.

Similar to 'say'Similar to 'tell'
mention, explain, point out, agree, promise, threaten, pretend, claim, recommend, suggest, admit, deny, boast, complain, insist, propose, replypromise, advise, warn, remind

Here are some common reporting verbs with the patterns which follow them. You should learn and remember these. 

SubjectVerbto doThis pattern is common with verbs which mean "I'll do it!"
Here, the person who is speaking does the action.
Ioffered
agreed
refused
promised
threatened
pretended
claimed
to make a cup of tea.

SubjectVerbObjectto doThis pattern is common with verbs which mean "You do it!".
Here, the person who is listening does the action.
Note that "warn" is usually used with a negative. ("I warned him not to go.")
Itold
ordered
asked
begged
advised
reminded
persuaded
encouraged
warned
invited
himto make me a cup of tea.

SubjectVerbdoingA lot of students make mistakes with "suggest" and "recommend" so make sure you learn these.
Iadmitted
denied
suggested
recommended
eating all the cake

Finally, there are a lot of reporting verbs which use prepositions. Again, you have to remember all these patterns.
I blamed him for doing it.I confessed to doing it.
I accused him of doing it.I apologised for doing it.
I congratulated him on doing it.I insisted on doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment